Laughead bass bridges more

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 18:04:44 -0500

Back when the St. Louis convention was over my employer bought the several
Laughead pianos Gordon exhibited.  One was a 48" studio in Cherry.  I
helped sell it to one of my clients and I still tune it about once a year
and it does pretty well.  I am sure he didn't make many of this model.
On the bass bridge attachment, I always figured it was more hype than
anything and seemed to be a good source of unwanted noise.
A little later we visited his factory and also to Charles Walter who was
just getting started with his Janssen factory.  He bought a number of the
low cost Janssens and a few of the early Walter verticals.  We also bought
some roll a round parts storage racks from him (Walter).
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G.
 Since 1962 in St. Louis, MO
pianoman@inlink.com

----------
> From: Sy Zabrocki <only4zab@imt.net>
> To: 'pianotech@ptg.org'
> Subject: RE: Laughead bass bridges
> Date: Wednesday, August 05, 1998 10:45 PM
>
> In 1972 I ordered a Kurtzman console which was made by Laughead. It was
equipped with the vibrating knee panel you describe. A post extended from
the bridge which made contact with the bottom board when slammed shut.
Vibration from the bridge extended thru the post and caused the bottom
board to vibrate. I had forgotten about this until this topic appeared. As
I remember, I didn't notice any improvement in tone or volume.

> Gordon Laughead mentions this device as the "Miracle Bridge" in the 1971
or 1972 Music Trades Directory.