computers

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Fri, 07 Aug 1998 15:13:43 -0400

rbeaton wrote:

> Frank...
> You have the right idea about turning off your computer, but you are
> incorrect about losing all your date/time info.  If you lose it your
> battery needs to be changed.  There is a small battery the size of a nickel
> on the mother board that keeps your system date and time current whether
> the computer is on or off.  I just changed mine...cost $5.
> Best,
> Dick RPT MT
> ----------
> > From: Frank Cahill <fcahill@erols.com>
> > To: pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject: Re: computers
> > Date: Wednesday, August 05, 1998 5:58 PM
> >
> > Dick Powell wrote:
> > >
> > Va

OK, I just got a new computer, my old one was about 4-5 yrs old.  I
wonder how long those batteries will back up time and date info?  I
guess that if things are done properly, quite a long time.

My experience in batteries is with giant wet-cells used for telepohone
system backup.  These things are about 1/3 the size of a spinet!

I may just break into the old coputer and look at the battery. You are
right, it's probably discharged.

Even so, it's no big deal.

Frank
--