Hammer felt unglued from molding

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Fri, 07 Aug 1998 20:20:14 -0400

Clyde Hollinger wrote:

> Friends:
>
> Periodically I come across a cheap console or spinet where the hammer
> felt has come unglued from the molding.  It happened again today.  When
> I first opened the lid of the piano I saw how the last piano tuner dealt
> with the problem.  I wondered how long it took for him, after he reglued
> the felt, to get that thick thread tied tight enough to hold the hammer
> together for those 5-6 hammers until the glue dried.
>
> The method I use may not be for everyone and is probably not original
> with me.  I put some of Ed Dryburgh's thick CA glue on the felt and
> squeeze the hammer so I can see if I have enough glue and to get it on
> both surfaces.  I let it pop apart, give it a squirt of accelerator,
> then immediately clamp it with my fingers and hold maybe 15-20 seconds.
> Done.
>
> Plusses:  fast, works.  So far I haven't had one of these glue joints
> fail.  Minuses:  got to have the felt positioned right the first time,
> got to have strong fingers, getting your fingers glued to the hammers!
> But if anyone is still trying to tie thread around the hammers, you
> might want to give this a try.  If you glue yourself to the piano,
> remember, I warned you!  :-)
>
> Clyde Hollinger, RPT
> Lititz, PA

Sounds good, but try this....but a hammer felt tool.  Sorry, I can't
remember wich supply house sells it.

It's just a GIANT spring that  holds the felt to the wooden core.

Apply the glue just like you do, position the spring around the felt and
release it. Now the felt is held tightly against the wooden core.

Next, use the accelerator.

This methods is much easier than trying to hold the felt with your
hands.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member