String spacing

Michiel van Loon mvanloon@xs4all.nl
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 21:33:02 +0200

Jerry,
There is one thing you can do when SOME pressure bar screws and strings want
to be in the same place.
Tighten all screws as needed.
Mark on the the screwhead on which side screw and string touch.
Then remove screw and file some of the shaft on the marked side away.
Reinstall the screw and remove the mark.
The removal of 1 mm can solve your problem and does not weaken the screw
enough to cause problems.
You see this done very often in old German uprights.
Michiel van Loon
mvanloon+AEA-xs4all.nl
Meppel
Nederland

Jerry Hunt wrote:

+AD4-In the continuing saga of my first major overhaul of a piano (note the
+AD4-avoidance of the +ACI-R+ACI- words), an old upright, I've got all of the strings
+AD4-installed - not too bad for a first time effort (no, you can't see it) -
+AD4-have chipped 5 or 6 times, tapped the strings down at the hitch pin and
+AD4-bridge pins (no, I didn't use anything metallic for this part), spaced
+AD4-strings.
+AD4-
+AD4-Regarding the string spacing, the screws on the pressure bar weren't
+AD4-placed as strategically as they could have been, and for a number of
+AD4-notes, mostly in the tenor section,  the pressure bar screw occupies
+AD4-part of the space that otherwise would be occupied by the left string of
+AD4-the tri-chord. Consequently, these tri-chords have very narrow spacing,
+AD4-but not touching, at the v-bar. So, my question is, would you leave it
+AD4-that way? I will be replacing the hammers, so string spacing vis-+AOA--vis
+AD4-hammer grooves is not a problem.  As always, thanks for your help.
+AD4-
+AD4---
+AD4-Jerry Hunt
+AD4-Dallas, TX