pianotech-digest V1997 #1018

Elian Degen degen@telcel.net.ve
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 22:13:37 -0400

Jory and List

Jory, You are right about the therminology, I just translated from spanish
where we call it "corriente de ruptura"  and I tried to explain it to the
list in a not so technical way.

If you remember, I didnīt say its a computer killer
I posted it after looking at this message:

>From: Clint Wynne <n5tbs@gte.net>
>To: Dick Powell <dbpowell1@juno.com>
>Subject: Re: KCW <kw2@acsu.buffalo.edu>: Re: computers
>Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 17:18:36 -0500

>The reboot is good for the memory.  The thing that is bad is thermal
>shock.
>Thermal shock comes from turning the pc
>on and off over and over.

I replied to correct the above,  but I think I made it worse, whoops !

I am not ofended, Neither I believe in a debate over Internet. But about
computers I sell them I service them and sometimes things are not what they
seem.

Jory, You wrote:
>Study, after study on the reliability of electronic circuits has shown that
temperature cycling is the major >killer of electronics.  In fact, Highly
Accelerated Life Test (HALT) systems designed to quickly "age" >products to
failure rapidly temperature cycle the system being "aged" while vibrating
it.

I know quite weel this theory, but I never had a computer fauling due to
temperature. Even when the cooler fans stop. The computers nowadays are very
well engineered and they take a lot of punishment.

I also mentioned that mechanical parts go first.

As you are an electric engineer  I am going to explain you some facts about
my area

90% of the computers sold here are IBM compatible clones, here the parts are
dirctly imported mostly from china and they are not UL tested or anything
like it.

10% are from major manufacturers as IBM, Compacq, Acer,

We donīt see here makes like Del, or Gateway

I donīt deal with Mac.

Many of the clones and also IBM, Compacq. etc that I have seen got dammaged
buy power failures and by switching on and off and I assumed a percentage is
due to statics and Inductive kik, but not only because of the computer but
for outside reasons and Iīll give you an example.

My computers, the ones I sell and service never fail and the way I  got down
to zero failures was since I adopted the policy of installing the computer
at the customers house myself, otherwise I donīt accept warranty. Since I am
doing that I found out the following problems:

I always go to the site and check the electric instalation.

Electric system in Venezuela is based on 110V 60Hz  2 or 3 points sockets
 I keep having problems with therminology, you can correct me if you want )
You get Live, Neutral and ground.

Many instalations either lack the ground, and people lazy enough cut the
third prong and use it without grounding. If I am not mistaken the computer
switch when you cut the current grounds to chasis and that gets rid of the
inductive kick, and also protects the circuit against any statics, but what
happens when you have no real ground ?

I found other houses where they inverted the polarity and they have the live
cable wired to the neutral and viceversa, !!

For unknown reasons, sometimes I found live current comming trough the phone
cable.

Every time I go to a customers house I make sure the electric instalation is
correct, I install either a voltage stabilizer or UPS and always make sure
they have phone filter, and I check for polarity and grounding. Once
everything is solved. I never had computers coming back.

My older ones sold by me are about 20 machines sold three years plus, 8 of
them are on 24hours a day on. Never had problems by heat, The only problem I
had was with Hard disk drives, (normal wear)

Four of those machines are still working with their original Hard disk
drive, I changed the others before they failed completely. Every time I
service them I check them thoroughly If I eve find bad blocks or hear
strange noises when they start I change them.

Also as I handle a specialized service, every time I assemble a machine for
a customer I keep it running for a week, normally defective material will
fail during this time.

I think that is about what I have to say openly, Anything else we can
discuss it if you e-mail me privately, donīt see reason to go on an
electrical technical discussion on a piano list.

Elian Degen