Hamburg

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 21:17:06 +0000

I went to evaluate a Steinway this morning.  According to the
owner it was purchased in Germany by his mother.  It is built in
1925 according to the book.  It has two pedals, vertical grain
on the case, seems to be Walnut?  The punchings look European,
that light green color and bigger than New York made.  The model
O letter looks different than New York.  I was under the
impression that New York Steinways said "New York" on the plate
and Hamburg's had "New York, Hamburg" on the plates?  This plate
has only New York.  It does not have a plate bell underneath.
My inclination is that it is indeed built in Hamburg...What I
really am wondering is why the hammers are black?  Apparently
this piano came over on a ship through the Panama Canal.  Could
the hammers have been treated for moths?  I would appreciate any
info the List may have...

Thanks in advance...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA