Kawai UST-5

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 08 Aug 1998 23:55:59 -0600

Hi Don,
       In the early 70's here in Canada we sold many UST4's. Back in the
those days Japanese pianos were 50% less than good quality North American
products, however both Japanese companies had not mastered the dry climate
manufacturing techniques that we see today. Steam heated institutions
played heck with stability. Many were repinned. These units seemed to fair
very well in home use, where the humidity is on average 30% in winter, vs
institutional use at 10%. Brings back some fond memories of a by gone era.

Regards Roger

>This series started (I believe) with the ST-3. I have never heard of a
>UST-4, but the UST-5 was a widely respected workhourse studio. It was
>changed to the UST-6 at some point, then on to the UST-7, which is still
>being made and is still a very sturdy piano.

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada.