computers

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Sun, 09 Aug 1998 17:26:30 -0400

Jim Kinnear wrote:

> NOW JUST A SEC. . .
> The battery not only saves the time for you, but it also saves all the
> settings that tell your computer that it _is_ a computer!! ie:" You are a
> pentium, not a toaster. . . etc"
>
> I tried to replace the battery once, with the computer OFF, for safety, and
> lost the BIOS information,
> I had a terrible time fixing it, and lost the data, programs, since some
> tech guy had to start from scratch.
> BE CAREFUL!!!!
> Take the computer to a professional, after all, would you let your car
> mechanic regulate your Steinway. . . ?
>
> Jim Kinnear... 'The PianoGuy',  ( not the computerguy ! )
>       www.pianoguy.com
>    jkinnear@pianoguy.com

I went to the local computer store yesterday and they sell software to
back up the info should your battery die.  Seems interesting. The
software package mentioned the very thing you pointed out...you will
lose your computer settings!

Yep, since making a fool of myself the other day on this topic I've done
some thinking.  It seems that the computer would need to be on in order
to change the battery, otherwise you lose what's being backed-up.

One must be careful, however.  Always wear a wrist strap and ground it
to the chassis.  These straps eliminate electrostatic dishcharge from
your body and prevent damage to electronic components.

I even wear one of these straps in the winter when using one of my
Accutuners, as I have destroyed several op amps inside the older one.
If you are lucky, the Accutuner just shuts off.  But the older of two I
own, becomes non-functional in the BASS if I zapp with a good static
discharge.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member