Tip of the week (Maybe)

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 21:04:11 -0600

Greetings all,
               Last week I worked on a 7ft import that some energetic work
person,( I will not use the term piano tech) had eased the keys more than a
little too vigorously. The action was starting to become quite noisy due to
the pully keys, and consistent regulation would have been difficult..
 A very effective fix for those that have the equipment.
 First I removed all keys and fitted the correct size of accu cauls for the
B/R pins. Next steam the B/R holes from the bottom with my trusty steam
kettle.
Left the keys over night to dry then reinstall.
No more pully keys.  One fringe benefit, enough steam gets to the bushing
area to pop out the cup that may have formed, and seems to revitalise the
bushing cloth a little. I have used this approach many times with good
success. However it is not a panacea for badly worn bushings.
Hope this may help someone
Regards Roger
Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre