Answering Machines - Outcome For Now

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 18:02:11 -0700

Z! and Susan,

Ditto your comments re bombproof Panasonics.

They do seem like an anachronism in this digital age but something can
be said for the reliability of tried-and-true tape and relays, although
I have to chuckle at the way my wayward machine slowly clicks it's way
across the desk.

Susan, you mentioned that you replaced the message tape every 1 or 2
years. I wonder if you really need to, as long as the speech quality is
okay. My 10-year-old machine still sounds fine with its original tape
which, admittedly, is now running on the "B" side. If your sound quality
is getting poor, you might try cleaning the heads with alcohol and
cotton swabs.

The flip side, it occurs to me, is also a way you can save a message
when there isn't a replacement tape handy. Z!, Thanks for the new (to
me) wrinkles about what you can do with message tapes.

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA