basic questions

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:04:58 EDT

<< >         Usually I file grooved hammers, but I don't really know why, just
 > that everyone says so.  Doesn't it effect the hammer flange pins in some
 > way?  Can deep grooves come out with steam or fabric softener?

 Eliot
  (Rob Goodale's response, in part)
 As far as flange pins go I believe that flat hammers can be more
 stressfull. Relaying my "personal theory", this is because of added
 vibration transmitted down the hammer shank in addition to harder blows
 produced by the pianist in failed efforts to improve tonal quality. Just
 how much this contributes to wear I couldn't say but the primary
 stresses would logically be on the bushings. I'm certain many others can
 elaborate on this.

  Rob Goodale, RPT, >>

Rob:

I think Eliot was referrring to the effects shaping the hammers have on the
bushings. Shaping hammers has to be done carefully. If you use a padel or
sandpaper strip and follow the contour of the hammer, in my opinion there will
not be enough stress on the flange bushing to cause any harm, at least no more
than when the piano is plaled. However, how the hammer is handled while
sanding has a lot with the stress on the bushing. If you do just one hammer at
a time, I think there is a greater chance of putting side to side stress on
the bushing. Therefore, pick up two hammers at a time, and you will have some
stability. On straight line hammers, I file both at the same time. On the
angled hammers, I will still pick up two hammers, but I will put the hammer I
am filing about 1/2" further forward. This still gives me the stabilty of two
hammers, but allows me to file one hammer.

On grand pianos, I use the mini belt sander from McCall. This thing saves a
considerable amount of time. It takes off 99% of the felt I am trying to get
rid of and it doesn't put any strain on the bushings. I then do the fine
sanding by hand.

Willem (Wim) Blees RPT
St. Louis