Voicing Steinway-need sustain!

David McCord david@gv.net
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 15:43:54 -0700

Lance,

I have had great success with these "short tones", as they are called, by
placing a lead weight on the underside of the soundboard, screwed into the
bridge from the underside. This practice is called "mass loading". I use
round fishing sinkers, purchased at a fishing tackle store, that look like
miniature donuts. Drill a hole in the center for a #8x3/4"woodscrew, and
drill a small pilot hole on the bottom of the soundboard upward into the
center of the bridge, directly under the offending area. You must
experiment with different weights. Try 1/2oz, 1oz, 1-1/2oz, etc. You will
find the one that works best.

Normally, put the weight directly under the offending area, though you may
find other helpful locations nearby by experimentation. The problem is
usually in the 1st treble section.  This treatment will often turn
dreadfully short tones into the best sustaining notes in the area.

Be absolutely certain you have completed all the basics first, ie perfect
unison tuning (very important) , be sure the strings are well-coupled at
the bridge pin, a good surface at the bar, strings leveled, hammers
properly shaped, etc.

David McCord