older Steinway whippens

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 00:02:58 -0400

An old saying comes to mind:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

These old parts have to be adjusted in order to ascertain
their potential. Sometimes more than a quick  - one/two -
is needed but you have to start somewhere.

If nothing else then to at least give the customer a reference
point to decide whether a lighter or heavier action is desired.
Hammers too, bright or mellow.

Key bushings, key buttons. There is more to getting an old
action 'up to snuff" than screwing on a few new parts.

Why stop at the whippens?
How about getting rid of those old keys?
Sound Board?

Back action, those underlevers definitely must go if you are
to replace the damper felt, no arguments there ( Renner USA).
The spring loaded sos. tab is a vast improvement over the stiff
felt covered one.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)