older Steinway wippens

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 08:40:31 +0000

Vince Mrykalo wrote:

> Yes, sell them on a complete new action.

Vince and Patrick,
    I second that!!  Actions seem to always feel strange in some way
when mixing parts.  A good example is an 85 note Steinway we have with
newer shanks mixed with ancient wippens with no jack regulating
buttons.  This piano has its own unique feel which is liked by some.
Aftertouch doesn't exist with standard blow distance, keydip, drop,
letoff etc, so  it's regulated differently to work properly. I've
reglued alot of jack arms on this piano. Depending on the pianist, you
could be in for a morass of trouble when mixing parts.
-Mike Jorgensen RPT