Wissner 5'5 1931

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 09:18:17 EDT

<< Dear List,
  I have to give my opinion of the approximate worth of a Wissner 5'5
 built in 1931 in original condition.  I have not seen the piano but I am
 told the finish is good and the action is not moth eaten.  Could you
 please give me your opinion of this brand of piano?  Good, Bad, Ugly.
 And if anyone would like to venture, a reasonable asking price?  Also if
 there is anything that I should look for that maybe out of the ordinary.
 Thank you.

 Gina Bonfietti
 CT >>

Off hand, I'd say this is a $500 - $1000 piano. The vlaue would be more if
there is absolutley nothing wrong with the piano, ie, the finish is unchecked,
the pin block is tight enough to hold a tuning, the hammers are not worn, and
the ivories are all in tact, without chips or yellowed.

Check the pin block carefully. Check the torque of a bunch of pins, especially
at the tenor break and the lower bass. Check the bridges. Check the condition
of the action parts, particularly the hammer and back checks.

Good luck

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis