Wissner 5'5 1931

Thu, 13 Aug 1998 07:17:08 -0700

Gina,

Memory fades over time, but the only Wissner I can recall seeing and working on
was an upright.  With one notable exception its design very much resembled the
Steinway:  it had a fourth aliquot string through the treble section.  This
string crossed the V-bar in a slight notch and the bridge is a somewhat greater
notch placing it to the treble side and behind the normal three strings.  Tough
to tune -- you had to reach behind and pluck it -- but a very interesting
sound.  Its construction quality easily exceeded that of the Steinway uprights I
was familiar with at the time.

I've never seen a Wissner grand.  Like all used pianos it will have to be
appraised based on its current physical and musical condition and on your local
market.  Good luck.

Del