older Steinway whippens

Andy&Chris Taylor tempola@swbell.net
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:18:06 -0500

older Steinway whippens
 Hello again.
The  original article of this thread was a little vague as to what shape the
whippens are in. This of course  depends upon what climate the piano has
been in, how much it has been played and a host of other things. Until the
condition has been ascertained, there is really no way of making a
statement, "blanket" or otherwise. If the whippens are in excellent shape,
it would be foolish to replace them. the only way to find out is to put the
action on the rack and _really_ check it over.

 I am not a professional piano tech in any sense of the word. I have rebuilt
mostly player-pianos, largely self-taught with repairs including restringing
and recently an upright pinblock. I don't mind telling you that I hope I
will never have to replace an upright block again! I also play the piano and
arranger player piano rolls.

Sadly, player people have earned a very bad reputation for themselves,
leaving the old piano in pitiful shape and calling them "rebuilt" I hang
around forums like this to learn more about raising my craftsmanship to
rebuild the pianos themselves. I make it a point to restring any old player
before I do anything else to the piano. it is pleasing to the ear to hear
the tone come back while chipping!

When you deal with an old player that has been given a workout for 80+
years, I find that the whippens, and sometimes the entire piano action is
totally worn out, But unlike grand pianos, replacement player upright
whippens is impossible to obtain new. so I do not have the option to replace
them. I have to rebush  every single one.

Every once in a while I do find a upright player that has a really nice
piano action, especially if the player action "died" early in it's life.

My two cents for what it is worth ;-)
Best Regards
Andy & Chris Taylor
"The Lone Arranger"