TOTAL TENSION

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 23:34:14 -0700 (MST)

Hi to all:

Raising the pitch of a string 1/2 step adds 12 to 15 pounds tension.
Multiply this by over 200 strings and you get around 1500 additional pounds.
Many factories tune a piano 1/2 step high on the first chip tunings. The
plates are usually over designed to handle the extra loads. I did however
see a grand which had a broken plate because our monsoon weather raised it
about 40% of a 1/2 step above regular pitch. This was a Gulbransen small
grand with a high tension scale to start with.

Normally I wouldn't worry about the rescaling breaking the plate. I've
never seen it happen due to rescaling. Just be sure that the plate is not
warped out of its natural shape. It can stand lots of tension, but not much
bending.

Jim Coleman, Sr.