basic questions

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 21:56:09 -0600

Hi Susan,
          Sounds as if you are working on an older SD10, let me guess grey
reinforcing at the tail of the felt where it is wired to the molding, and
touch weight in the high 50's to low 60's. If so respond for more.

>I have used the iron for brightening the tone on the SD-10. The humidity
>was high on the coast, too, so I think drying out (temporary) as well as a
>small amount of surface compression helped. Not a huge effect,

 With dry ironing prop the hammers up on a voicing block, have the iron
quite hot, the 40watt Weller will not scorch the hammers if you work
quickly, also use a firm downward pressure over the whole shoulder and
strike point, you should have a very noticable difference,

>I have done a little bit the same thing by applying a few drops of vodka
>right on the strike point, tapering down to just one on the left side in
>the high treble. (Left side to provide a softer tone when using the shift
>pedal.)

 What a waste of Vodka????????????????

>Does anyone else soften the strike point more on the left side to help the
>shift effect? If not, can you tell me about any drawbacks of doing it?

 A single needle chop stick from the top. Use a 2" wide folded strip of
cloth between the jacks and the knuckles, this will cause the hammers to
block, useing the strings as a guide chop stick very lightly between the
strings. This produces a wonderful unicorda contrast, particularly on half
pedaling. The Chopin Nocturne style pianist that has the technique, will
love it for subtle phrasing.

>I've started calling vodka "cold steam in a bottle." I've used the little
>plastic hypo-oiler to control how much I put on.

A shot glass liberally replenished helps to lose control.

Have a nice day, Roger

>Susan
>
>P.S. I did have one bad moment of inattention when I tried to guide the
>iron, held in my right hand, by taking hold of it with my left _in front
>of_ the handle. One more thing I don't intend to do again. Immediate and
>frequent contact with lots of ice in a ziploc bag is recommended ... then
>aloe vera on a bandaid. Stopped hurting in a few hours.

Been there, done that, and bought the tee shirt. OOOOOOOOCH

>Susan Kline
>P.O. Box 1651
>Philomath, OR 97370
>skline@proaxis.com