basic questions

LTpianoman@aol.com LTpianoman@aol.com
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 18:49:16 EDT

Hi Eliot,
Here's my couple of cents:          >Usually I file grooved hammers, but I
don't really know why, just that everyone says so.  Doesn't it effect the
hammer flange pins in some way?
One reason why grooved hammers should be filed is that when the hammer hits
the strings and is badly grooved, the hammer will move slightly to the left or
right in order to fit the groove to the string. This movement can loosen and
ruin the hammer flange bushing and results in a wobbly hammer which can also
break the hammer shank.  There are obviously more reasons and I'm sure you
will here about them on this List!
  >What should the gram resistant weight be?  I bought a reversible balance
scale and don't know what constitutes the optimum weight for hammer flanges,
or wippen flanges.

The gram weight resistance for a hammer flange is about 3 grams. A whippen
flange is a little tighter but I can't remember the gram weight for that.
Another point to remember is that in order to get a true test of gram weight,
the both sides of the flange bushings must be equal in resistance. If they are
different, then the weight resistance could be correct, but the difference in
tightness will result in a wobbly hammer. So, a 3 gram weight resistance on a
flange that is unequal at the bushing will still be loose. Also, a hammer
flange should drop when the screw is placed in the flange hole and you tap
your hand that is holding the flange, but not under it's own weight. Hope this
sheds new light.

Larry Trischetta, Pocono Northeast PTG
Scranton, Pa.