Bosendorfer replacement hammers

MMiccio@aol.com MMiccio@aol.com
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 09:10:21 EDT

Hello everyone, I have to replace hammers on a  Bosendorfer model 225 serial
#33,290.   The problem I have is that the measurements from the piano, keybed
to strings: Notes#1-207mm, #23-214mm, and (the treble) #24-207mm and #92-210mm
and keybed to hammer centerpin - 150mm, (measurements checked twice), indicate
very different hammer boring than what the factory calls for. In a recent fax
from Austria via Roger Weisensteiner who was very generous with his time to me
(thanks Roger) they are emphatic about very different measurements (Keybed to
strings "avg.201mm in treble and about 7mm more in bass"). They call for a
"52mm in bass and a 48mm in treble" hammer bore.  This size hammer overcenters
quite a bit.  My measurements indicate a hammer bore of 60mm at #92 !  The
hammers that are in there now are the factory standard, worn only about 2mm
but not producing a great sound.  By the way even though #92 is only worn
about 2mm the hammershank hits the bottom of the pinblock!  I know, I know,
why am I hesitating ordering the larger bore? My client has indicated that a
heavier touch would be unacceptable and these hammers would be noticably
larger to accomodate the bore.  And I am wondering what I might be missing.
Has anyone else experienced this large of a difference in specification vs.
actual measurement on a Bosendorfer.  Would the aux repetition springs be able
to make up for the added hammer weight.  What else might I be getting into
with the larger hammers? Thank you in advance for any input.