"Rescaling 4'10"/Stability

Mon, 17 Aug 1998 08:28:47 -0700

Most plates transfer very little of the string load to the rim and/or belly rail
assembly.  In the Steinway design -- and others that are structurally similar --
there is some amount of stress transferred to the belly brace system, but it's
still not very much.  The way the belly braces in these designs converge on the
point between the bass/tenor break gives them more than enough strength to support
any additional string load that might be imposed on them by rescaling.  It is
those plate designs that do not transfer any of the string load to the rim
assembly that I'd worry about.

-- ddf