New Wurlitzers

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 20:48:14 -0600

Hi Avery,
         They have made great strides in the last year. Soft felt on the
jack spoon buttons, click gone. Better quality drop button leather, click
gone.
Better quality knuckles, click gone. They have finally figured out what the
wip assist springs do, and are now regulating them. I'm still lobbying for
the damper timing.  As a fast fix just give the lifter spoons a tweek
upwards, usually this will time them correctly and make the action feel
100% better.
 I have built a special gig that is screw adjustable that fits under the
under levers to get them all perfectly level this I set so the lever
capstan screw is in the mid position and 1/16" of play. To get this to
happen I usually find that I have to trim some length off the bottom of
some of the damper wires.
The next step, I place the action on the bench and readjust the jig to be
1/8" higher than the lifter felt, place the jig back in the piano and set
the spoons, this proceedure will give you perfect damper lift time.
Remember to reset the capstans by blinking the pedal. A very nice budget
piano, that gives a greaat bang for the buck.  The C173 is based on the R
scale, and if it is preped well is one of the best value for money buys in
the industry.
Glad you like the changes.
Regards Roger.

Roger Jolly