Samick (again)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 21:09:21

At 02:43 PM 8/18/98 -0500, Avery wrote:
>List,
>
>   For all you Samick experts out there, I have a question. I have to go
>tune a Samick grand tomorrow and also decide what to do about tight pinning
>problems.
>   In February of 1997, I repinned 6 hammer flanges. Now, from her
>description, it sounds like more of the same, except some of it may also be
>jack pinning.
>   Short of doing a complete repinning job, would the alcohol/water
>shrinking solution or Protek be a viable alternative? I'd like to correct
>the problem more or less permanently since this seems as though it's going
>to keep recurring. Has that been your experience? I don't know the exact
>age, but I believe it's a relatively new instrument.
>   Thanks for any words of wisdom.
>
>Avery

Hi, Avery

I've done one of these. Had to repin all hammers, a lot of wippens, several
rep levers (! Have a fine photo of a wippen lying on a table with the rep
lever so seized the jack is sticking out) and a dozen underlevers.

Have you inspected the old pins with a magnifying glass? I think you'll
find that the plating has failed, and the brass is showing through, with
score marks where the fragments dragged around and around.

Should be a warranty problem if the warranty hasn't expired. I found that
repinning with an unplated pin was enough ... used Don Mannino's broaches,
too. The problem didn't recur on the ones I repinned, so rebushing wasn't
needed.

Good luck ..

Susan
Susan Kline