WD40

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 20:53:51 -0400

Roger Jolly wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>         One born every minute. I wonder what type of an engineer?  WD40 has
> been designed to creep, so that it will help to loosen stuborn nuts and
> bolts,in other words it will not stay where you put it. Once the volitiles
> evaporate the residue acts as a very good dirt collector, depending on air
> borne pollutants in the area, it could be speeding up corrosion not
> inhibiting it. You might mention that the plate pins are a friction fit, a
> fairly smart engineer, ask him if he is trying to get rid of the friction.
> Regards Roger.
>
> At 10:45 PM 18/08/98 EDT, you wrote:
> >Dear List,
> >
> >I have a client with a S & S  B who is an engineer who put WD40 on the
> strings
> >at the plate pins.  He thought it was rusting.  We all know that WD40 is not
> >to be any where around a piano.  He wants a technical explanation why.  He
> >tends to talk above me, and wants a technical explanation for every thing I
> >do.
> >
> >What should I tell him?  I cannot seem to keep him happy.  I know this has
> >been talked about it before, I been in this for 18 years, know better about
> >WD40.  Help!
> >
> >BTW, glad to be back.  I was in the middle of moving, house, shop and all,
> and
> >had to step down from the list for a while.  Shop is still being put
> together.
> >
> >Dave Peake, RPT
> >Oregon City, OR
> >
> Roger Jolly
> Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
> Saskatoon and Regina
> Saskatchewan, Canada.
> 306-665-0213
> Fax 652-0505

Hey Dave, I studied engineering, but it was electronics!  I had only a
very few mechanical courses.   My degree and work experience did not
prepare me much for piano work. Your client may have no background in
the stuff we tuners deal with every day.

If he talks above you, he may not be a good engineer and may not be real
confident in his abilities.

Get your facts straight , tell him in simple language, and hope he's not
a jerk.  It should be obvious that tuning pins won't work if they slip
due to application of even a poor lubricant, which is what WD-40 is.

I have many, many customers who are engineers and high-tech
professionals. They accept my explanations very well.  However, from
time to time one of these engineers "fixes" his piano.  My favorite is
the drop action elbow that breaks and it glued together, at the center
pin! A simple 5 minute job turns into something else.

By the way, WD-40 was really designed to displace moisture.  The name
"WD-40" stands for water displacement, formula #40.  Yep, the inventor
tried many different formulations before he got what he wanted.

--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member