Rescaling question

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 22:05:22 EDT

Del Wrote:

<< Keep in mind that even with this restriction it is still possible to
overload certain
 plate members.  Consider that many piano scales, especially small ones,
really drop
 tension through the low tenor.  It is common re-scaling practice to increase
this.
 Now consider that this same piano might have had fairly low tensions at the
upper
 bass bi-chords -- also not an uncommon scenario.  So those get raised as
well.  We
 find that we can keep approximately the same overall tension on the scale
because the
 mid-tenor tri-chord tensions were quite high.  The problem, of course, is
that the
 bass/tenor brace now has quite a lot more stress on it than it had
originally.  It's
 true that the tenor/treble brace is more lightly loaded now, but that doesn't
help
 the bass/tenor brace at all.  It is entirely possible to increase the load on
the
 bass/tenor brace by 20% or 30% without increasing the overall scale tension
at all.

 I am obviously a firm believer in the practice of re-scaling older pianos.  I
would
 just urge a bit of caution along the way.

 Del >>

You read my mind!  That was my next question.

I've been able to lower my original attempt numbers.  I currently have a scale
that is only 375 lbs higher then what I started with.  And I strongly suspect
that the instrument does not have its original bass strings (the unwrapped
ends by the agraffes are all 1 1/4" long) so maybe this piano had a higher
tension when it was built.  But I WAS wondering about the redistribution of
tension.

Am I correct in thinking that even if a hitch pin for a bass string is
immediately behind one for a treble string, changing the tension on one won't
have an effect on the other (because the tension is inline with the string)?

Gordon Large, RPT
Maine