Samick (again)

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 00:27:37 -0500

I concur with Jim.
	Once upon a time there was a Samick Studio upright in a resturant in San
Francisco.  The action was "sluggish" so the seller who lived in San
Rafael (30 mi n.) had me look at it, with instructions to east the key
bushings.  I eased two but the action was still sluggish, because the
hammer flange and whippen flange centers were tight.  I recommended
"watering" the term we used for alcohol and water. The seller was adimant
about the key bushings, did call Samick for quidlines.  Samick replaced
the piano.  Poor Samick.
	By that I mean that I am sure the alcohol water treatement would have
worked. We could have saved them a lot of fuss. To this day Samick is
known to replace pianos for the "slightest" reason.  At least accordng to
the dealer from Minnesota who is a client now.
	The water alcohol had "never" failed.  (I have never been called back)
But I also use a wetting agent, and the un-patanted Moody Dripolator which
gets the solution to the exact spot with out having to remove action
parts. The secret to success with this treatment is to supply flowing heat
to the whole action to dry up  as fast as possible. That I theorize
prevents the birdseyes from also shrinking and letting the c pins walk
out.
	Plans for the Moody Dripolator are free for the asking.
The Dripolator itself is the same price as Jon Page's TLRG, + $1.00 SH.
A video demonstratring its use (showing preparation of formula,
application, and subsequent drying out) will be  available for $15.00
including S&H.

Richard Moody

ps  Protek might also cause a shrinking of the wool in the felt bushing,
that would be nice, but it would have to be proven. Even so,  the Moody
Bushing Shrinking Sol. is 10x cheaper.  rm

----------
> From: JIMRPT@aol.com
> To: owner-pianotech@ptg.org; pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re:  Re:  Samick (again)
> Date: Tuesday, August 18, 1998 5:02 PM
>

> In a message dated 8/18/98 4:22:33 PM, A440A@aol.com wrote:
>
> <<"Short of doing a complete repinning job, would the alcohol/water
> shrinking solution or Protek be a viable alternative?">>
>
>  Avery;
>  In my opinion either would be "a viable alternative"
but...........while
> Protek may  make the pinning work it will not address the problem, just
the
> symptom. Applying Protek will not make the pinning less tight but it
will make
> the tight pins more slippery and probably allow them to function.
Treating