strip muting: pitch question

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 09:21:59 -0700 (MST)

Hi Wim:

The new SAT III has two amounts of overshoot to be used in pitch
raising. In the previous models, tuning the unisons as you go would give
more accurate results except that the Bass would end up high. If one used
a strip and tuned only the center strings with the machine and later came
back to clear the unisons, the treble would end up flat.

Now, one can use the 25% over-ride for the Bass doing only the open strings
with the felt strip in position, use the 34% over-ride for the treble with
the strip installed. After clearing the unisons, the pitch is very close to
where you want it for a fine tuning to follow.

There is now a second SHIFT button. After measuring the flatness of a
section, one can hold down the MSR button, hold down the regular SHIFT
button, release the MSR button, then release the SHIFT button (this is
called a roll-over technique). This will give a standard 25% over-ride.
If one rolls-over to the SHIFT2 button, there will be a 34% over-ride.

Using the temperament strip is faster than tuning unisons as you go. My
record time for a pitch raise was done before an audience several years
ago in just over 9 minutes, using the strip. Doing it by clearing unisons
along the way usually takes from 15 to 20 minutes.

I still like to tune the Bass last. It avoids the confusion of trying to
figure out which partial the machine is listening to on note A0. I always
tune downward in the Bass.

Jim Coleman, Sr