Inharmonicity - so what?

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:03:33 -0500

HI Jim

>>My Steinway L has a resonant freq. at B1
> with the strings on and up to pitch<<

Yes! If that is what Del means by "If the fundamental resonant frequency
of the string loaded soundboard
assembly" I would like to know if this can be determined in the manner of
"thumping the unstrung sb with fists" you describe, and I have seen others
do.

With the dampers up or down?   I have "always" rapped the SB with my
knuckles, as in knocking on a door. They all sound the same unless in the
same room and compared to each other.

I guess I got into this habit when I read how an early instrument maker
tapped the planks of sound board material and chose accordingly.   I don't
know what this really does other than make a little more sense than
kicking the tires. ; )

BTW, Your L sounds better with one string than most pianos do with three
strings.  I don't believe I heard it un-muted.

>>hit the
> soundboard with a tympani mallet or even your fist. You will hear a
resonant
> frequency << .
>>I would go
> around at night and give a fist test to all the pianos in 1st belly
station.<<

	I guess us soundboard "thumpers" should start a "club".

Richard The Rapper

----------
> From: Jim Coleman, Sr. <pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu>
> To: Richard Moody <remoody@easnet.net>
> Cc: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Inharmonicity - so what?
> Date: Thursday, August 20, 1998 12:45 PM
>
> Hi Richard:
>
> The next time you rebuild a Grand, while the strings are off, hit the
> soundboard with a tympani mallet or even your fist. You will hear a
resonant
> frequency around A1, B1 or C2. A large grand may have a resonant freq.
> as low as F#1 or maybe even lower. My Steinway L has a resonant freq. at
B1