Inharmonicity - so what?

Fri, 21 Aug 1998 22:28:33 -0700

Richard Moody wrote:

> I guess I got into this habit when I read how an early instrument maker
> tapped the planks of sound board material and chose accordingly.   I don't
> know what this really does other than make a little more sense than
> kicking the tires. ; )

--------------------------------

I've observed this also.  And puzzled over it.  It does make a bit more sense
than kicking the tires to tell how well the engine runs, but not much.  I care
mostly about how heavy the wood is vs. how stiff it is.  In other words, it's
stiffness-to-weight ratio.  To some extent this is indicated by tapping and
listening to a specific board.  But from there on so much happens to the wood
before it finally becomes a working soundboard that this method of selection has
virtually nothing to do with how the board will perform acoustically.  It also
negates the function of the ribs, which is significant.  And the bridge.  Which
is also significant.

Del