strip muting: pitch question

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 22:51:40 -0700 (MST)

Hi Wim:

I'll step in here and answer your question. When one uses a strip in pitch
raising it IS necessary to use a higher overpull percentage because as you
tune up the scale the center strings which you already have tuned to the
overpull position have already dropped some by the time you get around to
working out the strip and tuning the unisons. The side strings therefore
do not get as much overpull as the center string did.

When one tunes the unisons immediately after each center string is tuned,
all 3 strings are tuned to the same pitch. Therefore, it not necessary to
use as high an overpull to start with. It is faster to tune only the center
strings first using a strip and then later pull in the unisons. NOw we can
tune either way. I like the faster way better. It is nice to have the higher
overpull option with the SAT III.

Jim Coleman, Sr.