M&H BB harmonic

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 15:07:03 -0400

Dan, when you finish exploring the damper, string and belly areas, crawl
under and check the spyder. Yeah, yeah, the sacred cow area where nothing
can go wrong. Although I don't remember the particular harmonic (wouldn't
be the same anyway), I've eliminated this effect on two different Mason's
where one of the spyder components was singing like a canary and
telegraphing all over the place. BTW, the singing was proportional in
intensity to a certain frequency, and overtones (not partials) thereof.

Off-subject, but I wish the latest incarnation of the 'A' had not used the
A4 scale. Some of the vintage A's were really sweet, but I don't like the
results of running that many wrapped bichords so far past the break. Del,
if you see this, feel free to jump in!

-jh-

At 06:30 AM 8/22/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear List,  I have a client with a problem Mason & Hamlin BB. The piano
>has a very strong harmonic produced by G#5. The sound continues after the
>key is released and cannot be stopped by blocking the string or any
>related strings. The sound is also produced, but to a lesser degree, by
>G#2,3, &4 and by C#3 & 4. I have tried blocking all G# & C# strings in
>the piano as well as muting the strings behind the bridges to no avail.
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Dan Rue, RPT

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net