Replacing grommets

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 16:13:27 -0600

>Friends:
>
>Looks like an easy job, but I've never done it before, so I need a
>little reassurance....
>
>The little doughnut-shaped grommets at the top of the sticker wires
>(1967 Baldin Acrosonic spinet) have gone brittle.  Looks like I should
>just be able to break them off and stretch the new rubber ones over the
>smallish nut at the top of the sticker wire.  OK?  Or do I need to
>unscrew the wires to slip the grommet on the lower end?  Thanks in
>advance.
>
>Clyde Hollinger

Hi Clyde,

I wouldn't advise stretching the new grommets at all, as that could damage
them.

On some Baldwins, you can unhook the lifter wire from the bushed slot in
the wippen, slide the old grommet down the wire, and then slide the new one
up. The advantage of using this method is that you don't have to move the
regulating nut and your final adjustment for lost motion is minimal. If you
can do this on your piano, go for it.

If not, I would suggest unscrewing the nuts at the top of the wire and
replacing the grommets from the top. Replace the grommet in the fork,
regulate your lost motion and you are right back in business.

Take your time and this job should go very smoothly for you. You'll get
faster as you go along.

Regards,

Tom

Tom Seay