Plate - Grinding

Alan W Deverell aland@casa.co.nz
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 12:48:08 +1200

Peter & Others - I might have added (although most may already know):

1) Cast Iron is quite brittle - surface defects in stress areas can
lead to fracture cracks - can lead to eventual breaking of the
casting.

2) Cast Irons is NOT very ductile - do NOT hammer or subject to high
impact/shock loadings (drop on to a concrete floor). There is an
exception to this, in that, "peening" a welded crack to unify the
stresses introduced by welding - but this is the preserve of a skilled
cast iron welder).

3) If you progressively "drill out" a line along the 25mm you wish to
remove (as someone suggested) you MUST ensure that you grind away the
drillings so as to ensure a clean uniform blended (fettled) surface
conforming to the sculpture of a GOOD plate design, otherwise, if the
are any loadings throughout the area removed then the caution of "1)"
above may be revealed.

4) Some Piano Castings are pretty rough and "fettling" of the castings
not properly undertaken. I believe that tidying up with a die-grinder
etc. (as described below) is often appropriate/essential to a
professional re-build before the plate is re-painted.

5) The invasion of Cast Iron dust included the human skin etc., so, if
face, scalp, hair and hands etc. are not covered then you will
certainly require to take a shower otherwise you may look like Al
Johnson, or some other character out of the Black & White Minstrels.

AlanD (who has often looked like Al Johnson but never sung like him)

PS - Not sure if Belgium knows about Al Johnson and the "Black & White
Minstrels"