M&H BB harmonic

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 18:37:26 -0700 (MST)

Hi Dan:

Sometimes a Bass string speaking length is to blame for this kind of a
problem, especially since you have already check the tail lengths etc.
If you have poor damping in the Bass, there can be a partial which is
not being stopped by the damper. The check this, play the G#5 several times.
quickly after each time, place your flat hand on various positions over the
Bass strings. If the over-ring tone stops dead when touching a group of
strings, then you can isolate the one which is the chief cause. Sometimes
adding a third damper wedge will cure the problem. At other times, you
merely need to balance the damper head so that there is equal pressure
at the front and at the back. Then again, it may be that one string of a
Bass unison is not beingdamped at the partial which corresponds to the
G#5.

Good luck.

Jim Coleman, Sr.