in defense of the Chickering

VOCE88@aol.com VOCE88@aol.com
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 21:35:51 EDT

In a message dated 8/23/98 9:06:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
pianoman@inlink.com writes:

> So, Les, I may agree with you that the very early ones may have been
>  exquisite examples but in talking about what was available at the time  of
>  the 60's and 70's they don't come out too bad, in my opinion.  When I think
>  of the top dog S&S, I think 35 years ago and Teflon bushings.  I think
>  everyone was struggling.  Also remember that grands sales were not a
>  significant part of anyones sales except for Steinway.
>  I hope we can depart friends with different opinions.
>   Respectfully,
>  James Grebe
>  R.P.T. of the P.T.G.
>   Since 1962 in St. Louis, MO
>  Home of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups

I agree, James. Particularly at the price point in the '60s.

BTW, We are currently rebuilding a Chickering from 1885 - 6'3" with a
beautiful cabinet and beautifully built. It has a 4 PIECE PINBLOCK - makes the
rebuild a challenge - fer sure.

Richard Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co
1 800 394 1117