Set New Bass Strings

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 23:07:00 -0400

Hello John,

Where do you have to send for strings?

I would make a pattern, preferably of mylar plastic translucent 10 mil.
Sand through the material at the bridge and hitch pins and careful mark
the center of the agraffes and note on the chart that you have done so.
You can then mark the locations of the string ends, both, and indicate
the core and wrap sizes in mils or mm and note any double wound strings.

Send this data to the string makers.

Alternatively you or I can design a new set of strings for the piano
that may improve it a little bit and provide the winder with an exact
set of specifications.  This way control of the end product is in your
hands, not the winder's.

You still did not answer my question about the circular motion of the
bass strings unwinding as they are played because you and the player are
up side down.

Have a nice week

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com