in defense of the Chickering back

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 06:48:05 -0500

Hello Richard,
About 20 years ago I rebuilt a Chickering quarter grand (1904) with a 4
piece pin block that bolted into the plate from underneath and screw in
damper blocks.  It had been painted white over mahogany.  I refinished it
also.  I still tune it about every 6 months and it is the only one like
this among my clientele.
	I did leave one of the grands from the 60's out of my list and it was the
George Steck.  A-A pretty well ruled the roost then.
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G.
 Since 1962 in St. Louis, MO
Home of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups