Disklavier quietners

PIANOSSSSS@aol.com PIANOSSSSS@aol.com
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 17:57:11 EDT

Is any one familiar with the Styrofoam inserts that go underneath
reproducing grands to quiet them down.  I had heard that LaRoy Edwards had
kits for the different models of Yamaha.  Anyone one know how much and how
much effect they have.
Anyone know what is the best device for cutting Styrofoam is? band saw,
whatever?  Just an idea.

Jim--

I was going to order styrofoam from Edwards for a Pianodisc piano.  He said
that he needed a pattern of the underside of the piano.  That sounded
complicated to me so  I decided to cut the foam myself with a small bandsaw
that I took on sight.  It worked really well.  I purchased 2" foam 14" X 24"
for a quarter a piece from a local craft store.

I honestly didn't notice much difference in the volume but the client said
that he did.  He even called a few days later to extol on the quietness of the
pinao.

I did some foam fitting on a grand that I have in my basement to practice
before I went on the job.  I can't imagine that styrofoam could be hard on a
band saw blade but believe it or not, I did break a blade on the practice job.
It was a very old blade.