Potter vs. Tech Schools

BopPiano@aol.com BopPiano@aol.com
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 08:30:54 EDT

My apologies for the omission of signature.   As for the real point, though of
what I said,   I think it is not only ethically , but also, financially sound
to enter a profession as highly skilled as possible.  I am distraut at the
attitude so many in our world have that they should get by with as little as
possible invested or perhaps just enough to get started and then learn on
their own as it were. (Not that this is the case here)   I, therefore,
encourage anyone in any field to do whatever they can to become proficient for
their own sake as well as the customers.  I work on spinets and anything else
that comes down the pike.  At the same time I can say that I  can  rebuild,
regulate etc. the finest grands and that kind of work is probably what I do
most. At least I have plenty of choice of what I do work on.   I wouldn't have
the clientele I do if not for  thorough training and a bit of motivation.  In
my case I took out student loans and worked nights to pay my own way through a
school I attended during the day.  It was actually fun.  I started my still
successful business 15 years ago immediately upon graduation which  was hard
enough with all the background that I had.   I was however able to take on a
lot of work nobody else wanted because I had the skills to deal with it.   An
1892 Chickering grand with a 4 piece pinblock was my first job.  I did laquer
refinishing.  I did a lot of things passed off by others because they couldn't
or wouldn't .  I still do and I learn a lot from it.   The bottom line, the
better the education the better the choices and the better the chances for
success on the level you want.                            Gary Ford  RPT