Viewing vibrating strings in front of monitor

Alan W Deverell aland@casa.co.nz
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:35:41 +1200

Richard & Others,

I agree that a conventional rubber band, while displaying fundamental
properties of a tensioned element, will not accurately represent the
STEEL string and the inherent inharmonicity etc. You could try a piece
of "O" ring material of small diameter (this can be bought from
engineering supply shops) - this is at least "round" and would not
abberate the effects like a flat or square section rubber band and NOT
have significant aerodynamic characteristics.

Ideally the string needs to be "HIT" (rather than plucked) with a felt
hammer if you are to invoke the "piano" response in the tensioned
element. The striking point would be significant.

It is probably much easier to adjust the resonance of the
string/band/o-ring to synchronize with the computer monitor than go
through the procedure of changing the VGA settings etc. and probably
more appropriate to use a fluorescent light anyway.

A fluorescent light with TWO tubes is normally set up to strike each
tube 180 deg out of phase with each other. This would then STROBE at
120HZ (or 100Hz in civilised places like New Zealand etc.):-)). Just
remove one tube to get 60Hz (or 50Hz).

AlanD (still trying to see what he can hear - and taking a fluorescent
tube home to try this out tonight on a real piano)

PS - Not much response to my posting about developing a REAL "Piano
Strobe Light"