Strings and such

John M. Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 20:55:10 -0300

Patrick Greene wrote:

> Hello ya'll
>
> speaking of strings.  I am a budding piano tooner/tech and I am at a loss
> as to how to replace a string in the treble section of an old upright.
> This particular string runs under the bass strings and I have already
> banged up my fingers and knuckles trying to figure out how to get the
> string looped around the "hitch" at the bottom.
> this is no fun.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> patrick

Patrick,
Take a tube like extendable curtain rod, drill two holes in the end.  Take a
double length of the proper size piano wire, bend it in the middle and feed
the two ends through the tube, out the end.  Thread this behind the bass
strings to the bottom, loop the end over the hitch pin, and then just pull
the rod off, keeping tension on the string so it does not slip off the hitch
pin.  Cut the wire 3" above the pin, form a winding with a dummy pin, take it
off the dummy pin, put it over the old pin, which was backed out a half turn.
Then just tune it, and tap down at the bridge and hitch pin.
Hoping this helps.
John M. Ross
PTG Assoc.
Windsor, N.S. Canada