cleaning black satin finish

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:20:25 -0700

Karen:
	You didn't mention how old the piano is.  Sometimes the old finish gets
deteriorated and water-spots easily.  Here's some things to try:
	Get some steel wool and rub along the grain, gently with water and wool
wax lubricant (or a little dish soap added to water, drop or two per
quart).  Wipe dry.  You may have to do the whole area, lid, sides,
wherever the spots are.  Change the water frequently.  It will get gunky
fast.  Be sure to rub with the grain STRAIGHT, using both hands, and use
a rubber or felt block, or use a new steel wool pad and your palm.  If
simply wiping with a damp cloth won't get rid of the spots, you'll have
to do the above.
	Using a french polishing technique, you could pad over the spots, and
then use a light dry rubbing over it with steel wool to restore the
satin sheen.
	If the finish is a "spray satin" (no rubbing lines) you could mist a
new coat of lacquer over the area, but you will have to do the whole
area.  Mask carefully.
	I have rubbed out many Steinways in this fashion.  You could use pumice
stone powder and rubbing oil in the manner of the steel wool above, but
it is messy.  I'm sure others may have other methods.
	Good luck,
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego