Buzzing string problem

Phil Ryan pryan2@bellsouth.net
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:53:48 -0400

A newbie question:

I replaced a broken bass string with a universal replacement bass string
and it now buzzes when played.  I think I've located the problem to be a
loose copper winding at the end of the string where I unwound it to
match the old string. .  I've tried pinching the copper winding with a
pliars, but this kinda makes it worse.  Question:  Could I use a torch
and melt the copper winding,  pinch it some more in a vice,  mash it
with a hammer, or chuck the string and do it again with another one.
Any adivice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil Ryan
PTG Assoc.