Buzzing string problem

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 18:32:05 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Phil,

   A question or two. First, what kind of instrument is this; grand,
vertical; old, new; good, bad, etc.
   Second, you didn't mention if you put a twist in the wire before you
hooked it onto the hitch pin. You need at least 1/2-1 turn on the single
bass and at least a full turn on the bichords.
   If you did put a twist on installation, and you're sure the buzz is
right at the very end of the winding, I think I'd try cutting off a *very*
little more winding and then pinching again.
   I agree with John's response about 'no torch' and Les's comment about
the CA glue might even work. I've never tried it. The possibility hadn't
even occurred to me.
   One final comment. If this is a nice piano and the other strings still
sound pretty good, send the broken one off and have it duplicated. If you
do this, go ahead and have the other string on that unison (if it had more
than one) duplicated also. The tuning and tone will match up much better
that way and it will sound so much better than those universal strings. I
haven't used one in years and don't plan on ever doing so again. I know, I
know, they have their place in certain circumstances. But I still don't
like them.
   I'll admit however, that I'm more than a little bit spoiled now. :-)

Avery (it's still too hot here for flame suits because of bass strings)