Has it begun again? (long)

Jlovekeys@aol.com Jlovekeys@aol.com
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 01:44:12 EDT

<<A piano is a piano. A harpsichord is a harpsichord. An organ is an
organ. A digital piano is not an accoustic piano. These are different
instruments and not interchageable. Are we to encourage kids to learn on
a digital because "It's Easier". What did kids do before digitals were
invented? Do we encourage kids to do poorly in school "Because it's
easier". If someone wants to learn how to play a piano they had better
darn well learn what a piano is. If they want to play a harpsichord,
(which uses a completely different technique with no velosity
expression, might I add), then they need a harpsichord, not a piano. If
they want to learn organ, they need an organ, not a digital piano, etc.

Rob Goodale, RPT>>

Is not much of the technique for playing these instruments at least similar?.
Can not the experience of playing one even increase the chances of learning to
play another? Didn't many of the current pianists at one time begin on a cheap
little keyboard.?  Practicality dictates that some may have difficulty having
a piano, but may find a keyboard more suitable .  From what I've seen the
digital pianos and synthesizers have gotten a lot better,with access to better
synthesis and more memory. Sure , they have a long way to go to emulate a real
piano. I also prefer a fine playing ,in tune piano.  But I'd venture to say
there are more "out of tune "pianos than "in tune "pianos  out there. I know
thats our job to find em and tune 'em.  Aren't all those instruments more
similar than different? Music is the bottom line. The  ability of current
synthesizers to play so many accurate samples and sequence them together make
them a natural arrangers paradise. Pianos are often used as the controller
keyboard in midi systems. I  like the idea of a real piano action in excellent
regulation driving a synth setup, but size could be a problem unless you
faithfully miniaturized the parts.  Come forth,ye inventors. Jim Love
Midland,tx.