Strings and such

Ted Simmons ted@brevard.net
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:48:38 -0400

Hi Patrick,
  You've received some good advice and I'd like to add my method to the
list.  Go to a party store (the kind that makes those vinyl balloons) and
buy a couple of the 2-foot long straws that they use to anchor those
ballons. They should be of a different color.  Tape the 2 pieces together,
side-by-side.  Insert one end of your string all the way into one color
straw,  double back and insert the other end up into the other color straw.
The reason for the different colors is so you don't cross-wire the string.
Slide the straws underneath the bass strings and the rest is easy.  2 feet
is adequate for most applications.  I have replaced strings in spinets
beyond the dampers by cutting these straws to 8-inches or so and didn't
have to remove the action. I did remove the screws and pull the action
forward for more working space.  Hope this helps

Ted Simmons
Merritt Island, FL