referral?

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 19:14:48 -0500

Hello All,
	Yesterday I had a fellow PTGer call me with a referral to replace a set of
jack springs on a Cable spinet.  This fellow, somewhat younger than I is
still living with his parents.  He has always seemed to me to be an
underachiever.  So he tells me the story and I asked him why he didn't want
to do the job.  He didn't want to get involved with it after he just tuned
it for the first time in about 20 years.  I asked him if he checked for
sluggish centers in the jacks and insisted that it wasn't that.  I told him
that I would be glad to take the job and told him that I charge by the time
it takes to do the job times my hourly fee ($70 per hour) + the service
calls to pick up and re-install the action.  Then he tells me that he had
also talked to another PTGer and that he quoted him a price of around $350.
 I said so why didn't he do the job.  He comes back with,"I think that
price is too much.  I figured that my total price would be close to that by
the time I was through.  So here is a guy that doesn't want to do the job
himself and yet is dictating the price for someone who will do it.  The
idea is to work to make a profit  to eat.  I called the people up and told
them my pricing policy and they said they would think about it..  I wonder
how many repair jobs are not done because the peoples' tuner thinks it is
too much money for someone else to fix but yet will not do it themselves.
Kind of made me mad.
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G.
 Since 1962 in St. Louis, MO.