Historical Temperament

Andy&Chris Taylor tempola@swbell.net
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 13:56:16 -0500

Bill Bremmer wrote:
Just wait to see what happens if you would dare to suggest using a
Historical
Temperament on one of your instruments!

I know you said that as a joke, but I had a customer actually suggest that
once! I tuned her piano and she just wasn't happy with it. I asked
why......she stated that it no longer had the "ring" that it did. ( I
suppose that was due to the unisons being beatless) and suggested That I
tune it in a manner that it sounded "old"

Not quite thinking I heard her right, I asked her to repeat it. I told her
that she was so used to hearing the piano out of tune, that she had become
accustomed to hearing it in that condition, to give the new tuning a try.

later she told me a year or so later, it sounded better! (boy did that do my
ego good!)
I suppose 10 years later it will REALLY sound good to her!<chuckle>
Andy

BTW, I get the list in digest form, the separate e-mails run me nuts!