20 tons of tension

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 18:47:10 -0500 (CDT)

Clyde of Lititz, and listers,

At 22:54 8/25/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Friends:

>Which got me to wondering -- how much of the 20 tons of tension is
>usually on the back and how much is on the plate?

Could someone confirm what I think is a real memory?

I seem to recall hearing that a well known oriental manufacturer (at least
one) put backposts on pianos destined for the US, but those for other
markets (with the identical scales) were served up without.

The reason given at the time was that the Americans were conditioned by
decades of sales hype to believe that a piano couldn't possible be good
without looking like the proverbial outdoor comfort station.  So... even
though the plate was sustaining the strain of the tension, the sales force
could show off the backposts.

Which make might I have heard that from?

Any euro-techs what to comment on tuning stability of "backless" pianos?

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT		hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu

"What? Me worry?" - Alfred E Newman